Many of us are immersed in summer travels, enjoying life with friends and family. These idyllic long days are prized for deepening connections with loved ones, this vibrant earth and ourselves.
Our vacation travels need not interrupt our qigong practice as we can include time for qigong while on the road. Before I address ways to do that, please remember that while your practice is very important, it is not meant to take you away from playtime or any kind of fun events. Qigong is meant to support you in enjoying all aspects of life more fully.
Here are a few suggestions for practicing while on the road:
• Take your qigong recordings with you. Listen to the meditation CDs anytime while flying, taking a nap, when you go to bed or when you first wake up. I listen on long flights as it helps pass the time and I arrive feeling refreshed.
• Listen to CDs of the qigong practices even if you can’t actually do the movements. Focus on feeling and visualizing your body as though you are doing the movements.
• Find an inspiring location in nature to do a few or all movements of a practice you enjoy. No need to feel self-conscious as it is common to see people doing qigong, yoga and other types of practices in public spaces, even airports.
• Ask your traveling companions if they would like to join you. You may be surprised to find they are interested in learning about the practices that you bring you joy. This is a sweet opportunity to connect.
• Practice yang qi (conserving qi) anytime and anywhere you can. Simply focus on lower dan tian while you relax your whole body and breathe like a baby. This is very replenishing.
“In all of living, have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured.” ― Gordon B. Hinckley
By practicing while on the road, you will feel more relaxed and be more receptive to having fun along the way. It is another opportunity to incorporate qigong into your everyday life – after all, that’s the true purpose of qigong practice.